Capital.edu >

Behind the Mask

Behind-the-MaskQuestion 1: What is the most rewarding aspect of your profession and/or your particular job?
There are so many things that are rewarding about my profession. I would have to say that the most rewarding is being in the position to be there for my patients and find a way to make the situation that they’re in (being sick and in the hospital) better. Every day I go to work, I see patients on some of their worst days and have the chance to be a light in their day and make them feel at ease because they are getting the best care that I can provide.

Question 2: How did Capital best prepare you for this experience?
Capital has prepared me through providing information in lectures and getting hands-on experience in the lab and in clinical. All of the various clinical placements have definitely prepared me and allowed me to see all aspects of nursing.

Question 3: How close are you working in this battle against COVID-19, and how are you doing so?
I am fortunate to not be working very closely against COVID-19. The patients I care for are not experiencing any sign or symptoms of COVID-19, but we still are taking the precautions to keep them safe.

Kirsten Jutte
Graduation year: 2020
Reid Health

I think the most rewarding thing is being able to make a difference in someone’s life every day. Many people seeking healthcare are in a very vulnerable state and are out of their comfort zone. I am glad I have the opportunity to make their experience easier and less stressful. I think working with kids can still be a happy environment, even though they are battling an illness. Many of the kids still have a great personality and a happy attitude with contagious smiles. It makes coming to work every day that much better.

Capital provided me with great holistic nursing education. I have been able to practice holistic care at work and I think it made a huge difference in the care I provide my patients. My clinical placements have provided me necessary patient care experience with various patient populations. I was constantly challenged and supported in various ways. This semester particularly has helped prepare me for working during the pandemic. I feel that my community nursing class provided me with the skills to be a better health care provider.

I am currently a PCA in the Emergency Department at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. This increases my chances of working with COVID-19 patients. We have been working hard to make sure the proper personal protective equipment is worn at all times and with each patient to ensure safety.

I accepted a Staff RN position in the Operating Room at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. I will be starting my nursing position in the middle of June.

Emily Hilt
Graduation year: 2020
Nationwide Children’s Hospital

I worked on the corrections unit which means I worked strictly with prisoners. A lot of people think that would be scary, but they are some of the nicest patients you could ask for. Working with them, it gives you a whole new perspective in the fact that nursing doesn’t discriminate. You take care of people no matter what. I think that the most rewarding aspect of nursing is that we help people, no matter who they are or what they’ve done.

Capital has one of the best nursing programs around. It is rigorous, but it prepares you for what you will see after college. The professors are hard on you because they want you to succeed. We have a multitude of different Clinicals that help us to see what we like and don’t like. You also are able to make a lot of connections with your nursing instructors and people on the unit. This helps when looking for a future job.

I am not working at the moment. I am home with my family taking all of the precautions that we can to protect ourselves and others.

Kassie Lee
Graduation year: 2020
Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center