Capital.edu >
< back

Capital Alumna Fights for Racial Equity in Franklin County

Helping others has always come naturally to LeAndra Trikouros, M.L.S. With her passion for the law, she has found new ways to help her community and pave the way for the next generation.

A three-time Capital graduate, Trikouros earned her bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with a focus in Criminology in 2017, a paralegal certificate in 2018, and her Master of Legal Studies degree in 2021.

Now the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion administrator at Franklin County Board of Commissioners, Trikouros uses her knowledge of the law to work directly with leadership and the community.

“I get to develop and review policies that create a culture of inclusivity and implement them into our Board of Commissioner agencies. With my background and education from Capital, I’m able to excel in my work and effectively communicate with human resources to ensure that the policies are equitable,” said Trikouros.

“We’re always looking for new and innovative ways to enhance racial equity. Not just within our agencies, but also through our community partners and small and emerging businesses.”

Always interested in the law, Trikouros first thought she would become a police officer with the intention of becoming a detective. At Capital, she developed close relationships with faculty and advisors that eventually led her to current career path.

“I have always had a passion for the law, and a professor suggested that I apply to the Capital University Law School Paralegal Program. The Paralegal Program was amazing, and I learned new ways of interpreting the law, as well as improving my research and writing skills. The program prepared me for a successful career as a paralegal for Franklin County Children Services,” said Trikouros.

“After I graduated from the Paralegal Program, I was approached about the new Master of Legal Studies program at the Law School. The MLS program provided the best of both worlds, as the classes I took were side-by-side with the JD students. I was able to appreciate what is required of the JD students, as well as enhance my own understanding and analysis of the law.”

Before she could call herself a Capital student, Trikouros was unhappy with her career but nervous about coming back to a college campus after a decade away. Capital’s flexibility and evening classes made the transition from working professional to student easier.

“When I decided to return to school to complete my bachelor’s degree, Capital was at the top of the list. From the moment that I started classes, I felt supported, encouraged, and important. Each professor cared about the success of their students, and I truly enjoyed attending classes,” said Trikouros.

Looking back, Trikouros admits that she could have never predicted where she’d end up.

“This is a completely different path from where I started. My journey has been a long one, and I’ve had many bumps along the way. If there is anything I can do in this position to help someone else have an easier path, then that’s how I define success. It’s not the job title or the money. It’s the fact that I’m able to help others,” said Trikouros. “My husband and I are big believers in paying it forward. I look for ways I can better my community so that my children have a better environment to thrive in.”

To learn more about Capital University Law School, go to https://law.capital.edu/.