Capital.edu >
< back

My Time at Capital: Ashley Swank, Class of 2020

This May, I will graduate from Capital University as an Emerging Media major with a focus in Public Relations after three years of studying here. The memories I have made and the experiences I have had on this campus have a special place in my heart. 

As a first year, I lived in Schaaf with my roommate, Anna. Before move-in day, I had never met Anna in person before. We exchanged phone numbers over the summer and texted each other introductions and the standard questions about who would bring the refrigerator, the rug, the vacuum. Within a few months, she would become one of my best friends! We ventured on the COTA for the first time, won the “Roommate on the Run” competition our RA set up (we still hold the bragging rights to this day), and watched a lot of Vine compilations. 

In the spring of my first year, I became more involved with Capital’s chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America and received the opportunity to go to Chicago for a PR conference over spring break. I attended a lot of sessions and tours but really relished the time with my fellow PRSSA members and of course loved seeing the famous “Bean” at Cloud Gate. I also probably spent more money shopping the Magnificent Mile than I have this entire school year. I like to think my personal finance skills have improved. 

In my second year, I took some of the most creatively fulfilling courses for me: video production, commercial design, and photography. Those three have become a core not only in my internship/resume-building work but also have become passions and hobbies for me in my personal life. I remember telling my photography professor that the class had become an important creative outlet that let me focus on the bigger picture (literally!). 

This year, I have worked as an intern in Capital’s Marketing and Communications department. Through producing the Meet Your CapFam series, I have learned a lot about video production and editing. But more than that, I have been able to meet faculty members from different departments and listen to their perspectives on their field, teaching, and the life lessons they have picked up along the way. It has been rewarding to meet these very talented people and be inspired by their journeys! 

Each year, I have worked as an ambassador in the Admissions office and have given tours to visiting students and their families. It has been a great workstudy job as I have been able to meet new people and learn lots of new things about Capital’s history and the Bexley area. Some of my favorite spots in Bexley are Newfangled Kitchen and Zen Cha Cafe for food, the Drexel for movies, and Urban Emporium for cute gifts! 

Now, with graduation approaching in less than two months, I frequently get the question “What’s your plan post-grad?” Right now, my post-graduation plans are to enjoy some time off relaxing and having fun with my family and friends – my biggest supporters through my college life! I have considered freelancing and volunteering to gain more experience before going into something more fulltime. I would love to travel, but most importantly to have a job that allows me to work independently, remain active, and get outdoors. 

I am extremely grateful for all the people I have met at Capital and the experiences I have had on campus that have made me a more confident, more determined, and more positive person. I’m looking forward to a bright future! 😊