Capital.edu >
< back

Alumni Spotlight: Jess Miciche

1) What is your job title and where do you work?

I am currently a Lead Clinical Nurse on the Comprehensive Transplant Unit at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD. I have been a nurse there for 8 years as of July! I am also going to school at Johns Hopkins for my DNP to become an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner.

2) What are you currently doing for your job?

In the middle of March our floor was converted to a biocontainment unit to take care of critically ill COVID-19 patients. It was definitely a strange time to transition from a surgical floor to a medicine floor. We also had to “train up” in our skills. Typically, we are a step down unit, which means we are a bridge between the ICU and the general floor. All of the nurses were sent to ICUs to train for a few shifts so that we could then take care of more acute patients. That part was actually fun for me because I learned a lot in such a short time! That’s one of the things I love about nursing, you always have room to grow and learn!

3) How are you adjusting with your job, given the circumstances? Feel free to share something you’ve experienced or general thoughts regarding working in a hospital during the pandemic.

Adjusting to this new role has been both interesting and challenging. We have all had to change our way of thinking. It has been challenging to take care of patients who were healthy people prior to this illness. We have seen husbands and wives both fighting for their lives at the same time, not having the luxury of their family members to visit them. We have seen parents separated from children. Through it all, I work with some of the most resilient people! I have always been proud to work with this group, but now, even more. The entire staff, nurses, doctors, clinical techs, support staff, are all in this for one goal: help the patients. I have met many new people, as the doctors, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, are not always from our floor. It has been great to work with so many talented and smart individuals. I am so proud to work for Johns Hopkins Hospital!